Tuesday, October 13, 2020

“On earth we’re briefly gorgeous” by Ocean Vuong


Started reading on my kindle: 6th August 2020
Finished: 8th September 2020
My score/thoughts: 7/10 

I feel conflicted in my review. This book is so beautifully written in many parts, the language is wonderful, the author is very talented, but the content/themes were often so hard to read and distressing for me that I find it hard to recommend it as although I felt moved by the writing I felt so upset by the book and did not enjoy it because of this. I will look forward to other books by this author though, hopefully with less traumatic themes. I feel this book needs trigger warnings, including animal cruelty, PTSD, intergenerational trauma, suicide, domestic abuse, war. Still having nightmares months after reading the book, yet still thought the writing itself was beautiful and powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment