Tuesday, October 13, 2020

"Fauna" by Donna Mazza



I read “ghost species” by James Bradley a few weeks ago which was speculative fiction looking into de-extinction and bringing back Neanderthals through ancient DNA and IVF techniques and some of the story was told through the eyes of the resulting child. I was intrigued to find out that another author, Donna Mazza, had also chosen this somewhat niche topic to write a novel on recently. So I decided to start reading this one soon after finishing “ghost species” so I can compare the two while “ghost species” is still fairly fresh in my mind.

Started reading: 31 July 2020
Finished: 5th August 2020
My score/thoughts: 6/10
If you are going to read one of these two books, choose "Ghost Species", as "Fauna" spent so much time in the minutae of IVF). Plus I also found the ethics of why this family chose to have a Neanderthal baby problematic, and didnt really ever warm to the mother/main character.

Aussie Author Stats: Female author, New author to me, Genre: Speculative Fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment