Friday, October 30, 2020

"The Dictionary of Lost Words" by Pip Williams

 "The Dictionary of Lost Words" by Pip Williams

 


Started reading: 20th October 2020

Finished: 26th October 2020

My score: 9.5/10 - way more engaging and interesting than the "Professor and the Madman" and with a lot more details about how the Oxford English Dictionary was actually made, but with a strong feminist slant, looking at which words were included and which were not and why, combined with influences from the suffragette's movement and WW1. It was an 'easy read' 9.5/10, rather than the mind-blowing or deeply intense books I would normally score so high, but it was really enjoyable, covered multiple angles I think were really missed in the "Professor and the Madman". I was keen to read this book anyway as it ticked a lot of boxes for me, Historical fiction, feminist angle, linguistics/etymology, but it also by chance fits into my Aussie Author Challenge for 2020.  

Aussie Author Challenge stats: Historical fiction, feminist literature, female author, strong female characters, Australian author,


 

No comments:

Post a Comment